Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hate to Post and Run but...

that is what I'm doing because I'm traveling again tomorrow. I returned home on Wednesday last week but I didn't visit much because Thursday was the 4th longest day of my life. The other three being the days I gave birth. And this was the day I, not physically but intellectually and emotionally, waited while my Littlest, my last child, began her journey into adulthood.

I am now 'Mom of the Marine Corps Poolee.' On Thursday Littlest spent the day at the Military Entrance Processing Station and passed all the requirements. We then watched her raise her hand and swear in to the Marine Corps in the Delayed Entry Program. What does this mean? It means we still have a way to go. She has to graduate. She has to wait for her Occupational Specialty to open. She has to complete Recruit Training. (Boot Camp) This could take up to a year but at this point the date is about seven months. It also means that as long as nothing changes to prevent her from qualifying she will become a Marine.

In my post about our first trip to the recruiting office I said that we would not be signing papers for her to join before she turns eighteen. We learned a little more about how this works. The Delayed Entry Program provides physical training and guidance in preparation for boot camp before you show up there. It's a way of having an advantage. We gave it six months and the fact is that she has been unwavering in her choice. Steadfast in her decision. More determined than ever. So we signed the papers. She will begin what they call PT on Monday with the other Poolee's led by Marine Corps instructors. She will train and consult with her recruiter several times a week from this day forward.

We Are Immensely Proud.

her sisters cried. her dad cried. i haven't cried yet. i will.

There really is no way to decribe this feeling as a parent. Proudified? Teriffoud?

This post could be a long discussion on a whole lot of stuff that is going on, but, honestly, we've been having that discussion at our house for about two years and there's nothing left to discuss. The last conversation we had the night before MEPS was what might happen if she wore her Superman underwear to processing : )

But here's something else. Littlest only needs 3 credits to graduate. She fulfilled and surpassed her elective credits long ago but she is still taking classes all day. She wants to drop these extra classes which would leave her with an AP Language Arts, AP Government and a Marine Science class. It's a split schedule so that would be two classes one day and one the next. She doesn't need the other classes or credits and would rather be doing something besides sitting there bored in classes she doesn't like. I think she should suck it up for four months and just finish the year and it will be over. Her dad said that if she was mature enough to raise her hand and swear to protect her country she was mature enough to decide she didn't want to take classes she doesn't need. We both told her to get her recruiters opinion because at some point in her career she will be continuing her education.

What do you think Peanut Gallery?

Now I'm going to try to visit as many of you as I can before I have to finish getting ready to head out. As always, when I'm gone, if I miss you I'll catch you when I get back. Namaste. (I don't actually say that..ever..it just sounds nice ; )



© 2013 All Rights Reserved by MOTPG
Protected by Copyscape plagiarism checker - duplicate content and unique article detection software.

12 comments:

  1. This must be the scariest and proudest moment of your life all in one day. I get the impression from reading your posts over the last year or two that this girl yours is going places, she knows what she wants and what she has to do to get it.

    I'm inclined to agree with her dads opinion but also agree with both of you that her recruiter will advise what's best as well.

    ...and so your journey begins...parenting doesn't finish when they become adults, I think in some ways it becomes harder. You can't control as many things or keep them as safe as when they're kids under your own roof and rules.

    Stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Fi! Losing that control is the hardest thing for me.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, what Anonymous said.

    I kid, I kid: coming out of my healing cave, to see I miss my friends.

    Thanks for your love, and visits.

    xo

    My advice? Believe it or note, we're sitting in the same quandary. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT is the safest.

    That's how I think: the safest. Is he ready??? Is my boy ready??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Alexandra. Mine of course looks for 'most dangerous.' Awesome.

      Delete
  3. lol at peanut gallery. It's been along time coming. You haven't cried yet?!!!! You had me tearing. She will make you proud and I'm proud of her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. proudified...it's definitely proudified.

    and i agree with you.
    and the sea monkey.
    oh WHY can i always see both sides of everything?? what would she be filling the free time she'll get with.. maybe that's what i'd ask. because there's no sense giving up caffeine for lent and replacing it with alcohol, if you get where i'm going with this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That is my concern too. When it comes to high school on the one hand I'm concerned. On the other I really just couldn't give a damn anymore.

      Delete
  5. I would be poopafied. As in; I officially pooped myself, I am so horrifically proud.
    And thanks for reminding me I was suppose to call my kid's counselor today to ask about classes.... only, I think they're closed by now. You're more on the ball than I, so your kid will be OK.
    Mine's screwed.
    And then, my oldest just told me he wants to walk across America. Like a bum. With a shopping cart.
    You're obviously doing something right. Maybe I should read more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest is almost 26 and pretty much said the same thing yesterday. Do not despair! I think the only thing I've done right is not wandering off with a shopping cart myself ; )

      Delete
  6. woot woot to littlest!! a big yay from YaYa for sure. hang in there mama. she made a great decision, with tons of forethought and consideration. and i have to say i am kinda with dad on this one...let her finish up.

    terrifoud is a great word. love it.

    i do hope things on your end are getting better. things here...ugh. new meds for Lil'K. so that is always a transition. oh and me...figuring out how the hell i can work from home so i can be there for her. yep. normal Loco stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. YaYa! I think you may be right and it's going to be an interesting ride : )

      I'll be coming by to see what's up.

      Delete

Just Humor Me....

Search This Blog