Monday, October 26, 2009

I Hate You Too Sweetheart

From the age of 14 to 16 my oldest daughter was totally out of control. From then till she was around 18 there was a change. She was still wild but had separated herself from the really bad people she had been around. We began to have a real relationship with her again not an ongoing horror story. During the really bad years I Hate You was as blase as pass the salt compared to other things she said. When things started to improve she still wanted to have her way but get the benefits of being a teenager, and if we didn't go along with her she would get annoyed & out would come.. I Hate You. I would just quietly answer, I know...but I Love You. One evening as she was leaving she was pestering me for something and I had said no. I Hate You popped out. I guess she was gaining maturity and knew my denial was reasonable because as I was preparing to answer.. I know but I love you, I realized there was a slightly different tone to her voice and instantly the words popped out of me....in a very loving voice....I know, I Hate You Too Sweetheart. She grinned from ear to ear, her eyes lit up, and she answered, "Good" I'm leaving now.  This became a regular exchange of endearment with her. When she was being difficult but knew it she would use it, and even her boyfriend and her childhood friend  caught on. But the feeling I had the first time stayed with me. The child who wouldn't say I Love You had found a way. And to this day our mutual "hate" has stayed strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Humor Me....

Search This Blog